Monday, March 23, 2009

Roads of Cairo through a D880

Last two days we had to go downtown to Giza to meet clients etc. It was a good forty mins drive from where we are across the Nile. We had a battered old Hyundai come and pick us up along with our driver Gallal “Schummy” Sabry. Schummy was the name he acquired due to his F1 style driving during rush hour.

I was brave enough to sit in the front seat and keep my eyes open for the complete ride. I would tug on my seat belt every now and then just to make sure they would do their job when the need arises :-P . Since the dash board was all scratched up – I had to strain my eyes to see if it had “SRS Airbag” etched on it. I tried to match up the various scratches to convince myself that it vaguely read “airbag” :-P As far as Schummy was concerned he wanted to keep the business with us and his way of getting the nod from us was to drive as fast as possible, drive through one ways in the wrong direction, cut in on other drivers and swear at anyone who even gives him the look.. He was quite a character.

By the second day I was used to his reckless driving and I took some pictures using my D880 Samsung mobile which has crappy resolution.




Kids hanging on to back of truck..




Rush hour at Giza





Brokendown buildings in Giza

2 comments:

The Ketchup Girl said...

wow, u are getting to see a lot of places...how is Giza?

Discovering M said...

:-) its lot like any other indian city.. hectic / dusty / crazy traffic..

will post more giza pics later on..