Friday, June 12, 2009

Indecent Exposure !

It was the holy month of Ramadan and I was returning home to Sharjah after a tennis session in Dubai. I was driving back in my sportswear. Unfortunately I met with an accident and had to wait for the traffic police and register the accident and get a no objection letter for my motor insurance. After the necessary formalities were done the officer refused to hand over my driver’s license and asked me to follow him to the police station while the other party was allowed to drive off. I got no reply for my questions as to why I had to come to the police station. Once there he told me that he was going to charge me for dressing appropriately in public. My first thought that went through my mind was “WTF – you have got to be kidding me.” So I politely commented – but I AM dressed appropriately. He told me that it was the month holy of Ramadan and that no provocative outfits should be worn outside! I immediately knew there was no point in arguing with this narrow minded Gaylord! So I asked him if he can just keep my license and come back later etc.. to which he said that the only way I can get released was to ask someone to bring some covered clothing to cover my legs. I could'nt believe a 50 year old man would find my legs provocative.. It is a very scary thought more than anything else.

So I managed to get one of my friends to drive to the station with a pair of jeans and got me out without getting charged. Sharjah claims to be the nations “cultural” capital with strict rules against alcohol consumption and entertainment options. But what happened to me was probably the height of “cultural” beliefs.

6 comments:

The Ketchup Girl said...

They let you play tennis?? :)

Discovering M said...

ha ! fortunately they do! as long as you aren't drunk :-P . Its just that the Emirate called Sharjah is very conservative and got some crazy ass rules. Dubai is moderate and relaxed.

Casuarina said...

I can't believe that with all its progress in other areas, this place is still caught up in such a religio-cultural time warp ! It's so embarrassing for the indigenous lot when such incidents put them in the wrong sort of limelight; not of course for the victims,to whom it remains ridiculous, after all.

Discovering M said...

Casuarina,

Yes there are quite a lot places like that in the middle east. There are a few that break away and move on.. but they get isolated. But I would say they are moving ahead for sure but at a very slow pace..

You wont believe, when I was a kid I used to live in Sharjah and gaming arcades were banned in Sharjah - no pool tables or gaming consoles ar public places. The whole logic behind it was that one should not be paying for entertainment. Now its all changed and we have arcades around every corner :)

Rose said...

CRAP!!! I knew sharjah had gotten strict but MAN....
so now you roam around with a spare bag of decency, yes? You sexy thing you.
*grin*

Discovering M said...

havent been there much lately - mostly cos of traffic. But I still visit once in a while to roam around my old streets and playgrounds etc.. but fully covered ! period! :-P