Monday, April 6, 2009

tip

“Hi – I am XXX and I am your waiter today. I will do my best to make sure you enjoy your meal at our place”… and they mean what they say in majority of the places. So after we are happy with their service – we tip them. Everyone is happy.

But what if you get crappy service from a grumpy waiter/waitress and the food sucks? You decide that this guy isn’t getting your appreciation of any sort.. So you just want to pay up the bill and leave. Then comes the bill with 15% service charge along with a blank space for the tip. Huh? WTF? Service charge?Tip? Hello..???

Here in the middle east every deli has its own rules – there are no standard rules for the country – some plug in a tax along with a service charge and then expect us to tip the waiter etc.. This is so unfair. As far as I am concerned service charge is a token of appreciation that cannot be demanded. Period. So I have officially stopped tipping if there is a service charge. Also I do not charge the tip to the credit card as it will eventually end up in the owner’s pocket. So I tip the waiter with cash, that way there is a better chance of it ending up with the right people.

2 comments:

Casuarina said...

The cash idea is really credible ; my hubby always tends to tip generously and I'm glad he too has the good sense to pay cash down...nowadays all these eat-outs have become breeding houses of extortion...what else would you call a place that demands such a huge percentage of the bill as 'service charge' ?!

I find it ridiculous that what was once meant to be a gesture of thanks has now become something, the amount of which attests to the social status of the patron and not the degree of his appreciation !

Discovering M said...

Casuarina,

Exactly my thoughts on this. Moreover there is no such thing as minimum wages around this area.